Saturday, August 8, 2009
The webinar is offered on August 11th, 13th, and 18th at 10am and 2pm (EST). For more information and to register, click here.
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
If you are interested in other types of distance or online classes, please leave a comment or send me an email!
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
CSU – Specialty Crops program
Rocky Mountain Small Organic Farm Project
August 17, 2009
1:00 – 4:00 pm
Topics: Small scale organic vegetable production systems for Colorado producers.
- Tomato, pepper, cucumber cultivar trials.
- Winter greens production.
- Hay bale culture of strawberries.
- Challenges of growing blueberries in Colorado.
- Cultivar demonstrations and evaluations. This year many of the cultivars being evaluated are from Colorado seed producers. Including melons, tomatoes, peppers, and a wide variety of cole crops and root crops.
- Hops cultivar evaluations.
- Comparisons of flame, solarization, and conventional tillage for control of field bind weed and Canada thistle.
- Comparison of paper, bio-degradable plastic, and plastic mulch.
- Drip tape – to re-use or replace?
- Preliminary results of rolling rye/hairy vetch cover crop for no till production.
- Annual forage crops in rotation with vegetables.
- The CSU CSA
Speakers: Dr. Frank Stonaker, program director.
Dr. Amanda Broz, perennial weed management trials.
Ali Hamm, Organic hops research update
Dan Goldhamer, Annual forage crops in rotation with vegetables update
Horton Nash, Jeff Arnold, Julie Zavage, Sarah Figgins, Steve Cochenour (student interns)
Location: Horticulture Field Research Center, Ft. Collins
Directions: Exit to east at the I-25 at the Mountain Vista exit (#271), proceed east across frontage road and enter the 2nd driveway on the north side.
The address is 4300 E. County Rd. 51, Ft. Collins.
Sponsors: Colorado Department of Agriculture, Aurora Organic Dairy, , Sunshine Paper Co.
Registration: On site registration will be held immediately before the program. This is a free event.
Please indicate if you plan to attend the event by e-mail or telephone by August 10.
E-mail response to Frank.Stonaker@colostate.edu
Telephone response to 970-491-7068.